Bigrevcoop's Thoughts

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Don't Blame me!

We live in a culture that does not want be accountable for anything. We want to blame tobacco companies for our smoking habits. We want to blame McDonald's for our weight problem. We blame, blame, blame. This attitude has had a terrible affect on our culture, and I believe that it has slipped into our convention as well.

Who is to blame when we fail at ministry? I believe this is a good question. Let us pretend we have a pastor who is failing at his job. Who is to blame? Is the Pastor going to take responsibility for his failure? I think this is a question we have to answer.

I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to remove someone from a moral failing than it is for a lack of ability. I was once speaking to a minister friend of mine about a person who was not successful in the area of ministry that he was in. My friend said to me, I know the guy well. He thinks all day about what he is supposed to do. He works so hard. He has a good family. He is a good man. He talks, eats, and dreams about what he is supposed to do. I just don't understand why he is failing.

My response was a difficult one. I said to my friend, it might be because he isn't capable to do the job.

I truly believe that there are some in the ministry who are great men, but are not capable men. So what do we do in this situation? The last thing a Church or a Pastor wants to do is hurt someones feelings. If a minister is inept, who should say the word? How do we deal with such a problem? I honestly do not know.

Placing blame on failure is very hard to do. Every year, I set a plan before my Church. I name four or five things I would like to see us as a Church do. The truth is that sometimes we fail. In those instances, the buck stops with me. I evaluate what went wrong, and I try to plan better the next time.

It is obviously to anyone, the surest way not to fail at a task is not to attempt a task. I believe some ministers do not plan anything. This is a sure way they cannot be accused of failing. However, some ministers make great goals, but have no legitimate plan to get there. This is certain failure. Some ministers, have goals, set plans, and never achieve. This type of person is not lazy. This type of person is moral. This type of person is good. However, this type of person is incompetent. So can we blame them for the failure.

Out of all the blogs I have posted, this one makes the least since. I am struggling with an issue that is beyond my control or my influence. My hope is that by writing about blame, something might cross my mind that I haven't thought of before. In ministry, who do we blame for failing? When I fail, I take responsibility. However, not everyone feels the same that I do. What if I fail and I don't think I am responsible? What if I fail, and I am responsible, but I don't recognize it? If God is pleased with my effort, but my outcome was not satisfactory, then who is to blame.

Maybe I will never be able to answer this question? However, someone should always be responsible when we fail. Who is to blame?